For all you folks out there not familiar with AIP, it is the Autoimmune Paleo Diet. A modified approach to Paleo designed to heal the gut. The diet can be a little tricky, especially to newbies looking to have some variety on their plate. You can find more info by clicking here.
I commonly get clients who are following this diet. One of my all time favorite recipes to cook for them is crispy chicken thighs topped with a heaping serving of this lemon zest pesto. Lots of flavor, little bit of crunch, and tons of delicious protein (in the chicken, not the pesto…)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Yields: about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/2 – 1 cup organic olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested
- salt to taste
- Place basil, spinach, parsley and 1/2 cup olive oil in a food processor.
- Process till smooth, adding more oil when necessary and scraping down the sides.
- Quickly pulse in salt and lemon zest one or two times.
- Serve on fresh chicken or top on a fresh salad.