I’m totally in love with those white sweet potatoes… yum!
There are two different kinds that I know of. The first is a japanese sweet potato that has a dark red skin, like a garnet yam but darker and more red. Then when you slice into it… surprise! it is white on the inside. Hannah sweet potatoes are tan on the outside and white in the middle. Both delicious. Very starchy and sweet, everything you could ever need from comfort foods.
Perfect comfort food for me is mashing roasted hannah or japanese sweet potato with cinnamon, salt and coconut oil. Call me crazy (and some do), but it tastes to me like the cinnamon toast my Mom used to make when I was wee little one.
Ok, let’s chat about yam vs. sweet potato. The “yams” you buy at the supermarket are actually sweet potatoes, unless you purchase from an international market that might actually have real yams. And on top of that…. sweet potatoes are not really potatoes. Mind blowing. If you would like more information, click here for a good article.
So this Broccoli Yam Soup is really Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup, but I’m sticking with yam.
Head on over here if you would like my curried cauliflower soup recipe.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 2 – 3), cut into small florets and stalks peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized hannah or japanese sweet potato, scrubbed and diced
- chicken/veggie stock to cover
- salt to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil.
- Saute onion until translucent.
- Add in broccoli, garlic and sweet potato “yam”
- Cook for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Add in broth till just covering vegetables.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until veggies are very soft.
- Puree when cool. Remember pureeing hot soup with explode in the blender.
- Salt to taste