Key lime pie is absolutely my most favorite pie around. We usually don’t see key limes around much, maybe during the height of citrus season which is roughly November through April. Mostly we just see the Persian limes around. They are the bigger and darker green limes. According to a Cook’s Illustrated test, no one could really taste the difference between the two limes in several taste tests as far as desserts are concerned. So pick the persian limes over the key limes, they are bigger and have more juice than the small ones.
The typical American key lime pie consists of a can of condensed milk, eggs, key limes and sugar with a graham cracker crust. Oh sooo delicious! Quite a recipe for a stomach disaster! So instead, here is an amazing recipe that uses avocados in place of the condensed milk to act as the creamy and custardy filling. To the consumers surprise, this pie tastes nothing like avocados!
Key Lime Crust
- 2 cups nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds)
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins (soaked for 20 min, then drained)
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and process until nuts are broken down and mixture is sticky.
- Press into a medium size tart pan (8″ – 9.5″) with a removable bottom.
- Refrigerate while making the filling
Key Lime Filling
- 4 avocados
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 7 – 15 drops stevia (to taste)
- Scoop out all the avocado meat. Place in food processor or blender with lime juice and coconut oil.
- Process till very smooth and creamy.
- Add stevia only a few drops at a time until desired sweetness is achieved
- Spread on top of crust and place in fridge for about an hour, or until firm.
- When pie is ready, remove the siding by pressing up on the bottom and enjoy!
Check out my coconut cream frosting recipe here to use as whipped cream for the pie!
(Just omit the ginger)
P.S. I work in Boulder as a private chef. I cook healthy and delicious meals that are stored in the fridge and freezer to reheat at your convenience, perfect for a busy lifestyle. Gluten free? Paleo? Vegan? Contact me to hear about how I can create a custom menu to fit your dietary needs.